Thanks for putting my sentiments into an eloquent reassurance for our little brother, Lydia. I don't have much to add, really, though I will say that I have asked those questions too. My two cents:
Don't worry about the future too much, though plan ahead and don't to sell yourself short in terms of ambition. You have the smarts to succeed and the agency to make a difference in the world. There's a way to balance living in the moment (appreciating high school while it lasts) and looking forward to the future of college, of independence and of charting your own course. Live a life that you are proud of, steward your skills and talents well, and go forward with humility/integrity in your successes. None of this will be straightforward or easy, and there will be struggles and doubts, but if you're heart is in the right place, and you continue to grow in trusting God, you'll be fine. Hmm, this is sounding really graduation speech-y.
Anyway, I ditto Lyds in saying that we are uber-proud of you, littlest Chao! We speak of you often -- most of the time it's positive. Don't worry about those AP classes! It's an opportunity for you to get disciplined and go on a crazy ride (of stress) with all your friends. My CHS friends look back and some agree that we actually kind of miss Junior year.
I love you both, and see you soon!
P.S. I enjoy that you're questioning the legitimacy of institutions already, Patch. It falls in line with the critical, anti-authoritarian streak that I think we might get from Dad and Gong-gong? Those questions are pretty on the dot -- prestige is not where one should find value from. That said, however, college is probably necessary to do the things you aspire to do in terms of politics or systemic change, or whatever (not to mention that the 'rents expect it). And, if you work hard, you'll be able to choose which one you want to go to. If you choose wisely, you might do more than just get a diploma. You might actually learn.
P.P.S. Excerpt from Lydia's post on Friday, Oct. 19. 2007: "I hope you're serious about writing more and not just 1.5 years from now." Funnily enough, it's just a few weeks past the 1.5 year mark. I guess Lydia's foresight is better than average... or Patrick is just predictable :)